Portuguese Water Dogs at Ricelake
WE HAVE PUPPIES!
Portuguese Water Dogs in Ontario, Canada
We are located 1.5hrs east of Toronto, in Ontario, Canada
Shipping is avail. Portuguese water dogs in Ontario, Portuguese Water dogs in Canada
Follow us on Facebook
Preparing for the new puppy
When you receive your Portuguese Water Dog pup, remember: he/she will love you unconditionally; please, treat them they same way. The more time, attention and love given to your pup, the stronger the bond. The stronger the bond, the more you will realize that Portuguese Water Dogs are not just another dog, they are the closest thing to a human with four-legs that you will find. Training time is an investment in your future happiness.
planning for the pup
- One adult in the household must accept the ultimate responsibility for the Portuguese water dog puppy. This includes feeding, elimination, making scheduled vet and grooming appointments and checking to insure other household members are, in fact, doing their puppy chores in a timely and reliable manner.
- Housebreaking is often easier using a crate, and it can also provide a safe "den" for the puppy. Dogs are social animals and want to be with their people. Discuss the best place to place the crate, like a wide hallway or family room. You may also move the crate into the bedroom of the main caregiver upon retiring, until the pup adjusts to its new home and is sleeping throughout the night.
- Never crate a pup longer than three or four hours without planning a break for relieving itself, getting a drink of water and having a snack. Playtime is also important. If you must leave your dog unattended for a longer period of time, decide if you will gate the kitchen or use a well-vented laundry room. Perhaps a friend or neighbor can drop in for a mid-day puppy break while you are at work, just until your puppy is used to its new home environment. And during this adjustment period, plan ahead, in case you must work overtime, too. More about crate training
- Routine makes raising your Portuguese water dog puppy easier. Decide where and when the puppy will be fed, watered and taken outdoors to relieve itself. Routine gives your new pup a sense of security and helps with housebreaking and training.
- Learning basic obedience can be a fun and educational way to spend time with your dog. Check into private instructors or group classes. Dogs need to know the rules, which every member of the family should follow fairly and consistently. Group classes are about 150 for 6-8 classes
- Every pup needs to be socialized with people of both sexes and all ages. Plan activities that will socialize your pup with other animal and environments, while not overwhelming the newest family member.
- Find a veterinarian. You may wish to visit several clinics in your area that have been recommended by friends and family members. Look for a knowledgeable, friendly staff and clean environment. Make certain you understand the importance of the puppy's inoculation schedule before you begin training and socialization. Never take your puppy outside your home until your veterinarian gives you an OK. Diseases, such as Parvo , can kill a young pup.
- Build a support system. Keep a list of people you can call for information, ideas and help. Of course, your breeder and veterinarian will be included. Others to include are your feed store, groomer, poison control center and emergency veterinary hospital that is open nights and weekends.
Shopping List for the New Portuguese Water Dog Puppy
The basic shopping list for your new pup may include these items:
- Food - For most people who have pre-ordered their puppies I will have sent information on the food we feed so it can be purchased in advance of picking up your puppy, otherwise I will send you home with some to tied you over until your order has arrived. We strongly suggest you buy the same food for the next few months. At that time if you choose to switch, do it slowing over a week or two by introducing first a few spoons/then 1/3new and so on.
- A few cartons of plain yogurt to mix in, by the teaspoon, with dry kibble for the first few days to ease any digestive problems and stress diarrhea
- Bowls - at least 2 water bowls and 1 food dish (the tip proof ones are great)
- Pooper-scooper and plastic bag(s) or separate trash for dog droppings
- A foldable water dish or a non-spill bowl is great for later outings
- Crate, good idea to buy for an adult size and use the dividers to make it smaller for now
- Baby gate(s) - if you must confine the pup to a kitchen or laundry room
- Exercise pen - if your yard is not securely fenced, or if a very small pup may escape under a fence or gate, you will need a secure area for the pup to play and another for it to relieve itself. You may also construct secure areas with mesh or plastic wire and a few fence posts. Leash - leather is easiest on your hands and recommended for training
- Retractable leash - for when the pup is older and wants to explore on walks
- All pups come with a collar and a leash, but make certain to have an ID TAG
- Toys that are size appropriate for your pup. Pups enjoy a variety of textures:
- Plush toys - with nothing the pup can remove and swallow or choke on
- Kong toy - great for teething and for playing
- Large stuffed animal (puppy proofed) for the pup to cuddle when in the crate or its bed in the kitchen or laundry room. And, place this cuddly-toy in the crate with the pup when you move it into your room at night, too.
- A white vinegar and water solution 50-50, in a spray bottle - accidents will happen
- Johnson & Johnson baby shampoo (no tears) or a very gentle conditioning shampoo for the pup
- Slicker brush, pin brush, greyhound comb (metal comb) and nail clippers
Please remember: Your pup may be nervous and stressed. It has been through many new experiences in a very short time. This is the first time it has been away from the only home it has known. How would you feel in the same situation?
Be patient and stay calm. This is not the time to begin training or scolding. Expect the worse, so no matter what happens, you are mentally, and physically, prepared to nurture the pup and offer it comfort, understanding and love.
return to home page
Portuguese water dogs ontario, portugese water dogs canada, portuguese water dogs for sale, portuguese water dogs for sale ontario, portuguese water dogs for sale canada, portuguese water dogs puppies for sale ontario, portuguese water dog puppies for sale canada.